Tortoise is a response to two problems.
The daily noise: we are overwhelmed by information. The problem isn’t just fake news or junk news, because there’s a lot that’s good – it’s just that there’s so much of it, and so much of it is the same. In a hurry, partial and confusing. Too many newsrooms chasing the news, but missing the story.
The power gap: the divide between the powerful and the powerless is widening. We feel locked out. Alarmed by the lack of vision, hungry for leadership in business, technology and society. We believe in responsibility; we care about dignity.
Like us, Tortoise Media is a membership business, built for and with their members. And, also like us, being part of it is more important than just paying for it.
- Their newsroom will be (literally) open to members.
- They don’t do ads. Tortoise is a blissfully pop-up free experience.
- They never, ever, sell or share our members’ data.
Membership of Tortoise includes live and digital experiences:
- ThinkIns are at the heart of Tortoise. They are a forum for civilised disagreement, designed to harness the experience and expertise of member and shape the way they see the world. Members and guests can join the conversation in person – both in the London newsroom and at venues across the UK – or watch live online.
- The slow newsfeed – a digital edition lands in the app and online every day, with no more than five concise pieces, each tackling one subject or story, in depth.
- A small book of big reads – the Tortoise quarterly e-book. Modern fables, true tales, old stories re-examined, new ones revealed.